When your family is at stake, there is no other more important legal case worth winning. This is why a trusted, experienced Columbia County family lawyer is so important. The Colwell Law Group, LLC is here to offer assistance in all types of family law disputes and proceedings. We fight for our clients’ best interests and build cases that show them in their true and best light, despite what the other party may say or believe. Contact us today to speak with one of our compassionate lawyers. We represent clients in all of the following areas of family law:
- Child custody;
- Family offense proceedings;
- Child abuse or neglect proceedings;
- Interstate support issues; and
- Grandparent visitation.
Child Custody Decisions in Columbia County
While it is desirable to work out custody agreements amicably, sometimes it is necessary to have the court decide. The court will always decide in favor of what it believes is in the child’s best interests. Typically, it is in the child’s best interests to grant joint custody, though that is not always the case. But what specific factors does the court look at when making a child custody decision? The court uses the following criteria:
- Who has been the primary caregiver of the child?
- Relationship that each parent has with the child;
- Relationship that the child has with siblings;
- Work schedules of each parent;
- Physical and mental health of each parent;
- Each parent’s financial ability to provide;
- The potential domestic violence, child abuse, substance abuse, and criminal history of each parent; and;
- The child’s desire, regarding which parent to live with, if they are old enough to make an informed decisions.