Associate Attorney (Syracuse Regional Office)-Family & Matrimonial Law, Full Time
The Colwell Law Group, a growing family and matrimonial law firm with locations in Albany, Saratoga, and Syracuse (New York) is seeking an Associate Attorney for our Syracuse location. The firm has been recognized by the Albany Business Review as one of the top law firms in New York State’s Capital Region and has been acknowledged by LawFirm500 as one of the fastest-growing firms in the country.
The Colwell Law Group fosters a culture of professional growth for all employees.
At The Colwell Law Group, compassion, advocacy, and excellence intersect. You are invited to explore the opportunity to join as a thought leader and contributor to our dynamic legal team, where you will provide both the most effective representation of and the highest levels of personal service for our clients. You will collaborate and grow to excellence with a successful legal team. While doing so, you will share our commitment to a healthy work-life balance which is essential to the success of The Colwell Law Group, LLC.
Skills: Litigation, Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Communication, Mentorship, Goal-Driven Thought Leader and Collaborator, Professional Development, Client-Facing Excellence
- Ideal candidates will have over three (3) years of experience in civil litigation.
- Membership in good standing in the New York State Bar. Other state bar memberships a plus.
- Associate Attorneys at The Colwell Law Group report directly to the Regional Managing Attorney, and work with the firm’s Director of Legal Operations (“DLO”).
- Regularly meet with and report to the Regional Managing Attorney regarding caseload, workflow, and productivity.
- Successfully manage assigned cases, including the preparation for and attendance at court appearances, conferences, and client meetings. Draft and serve pleadings/other legal documents/case reports in a timely manner.
- Foster a collaborative and supportive work environment at The Colwell Law Group, LLC; meaningfully contribute to and mentor a growing team of attorneys and administrative support staff.
- Travel to courts and proceedings in central New York required. Some travel to Albany and Saratoga locations may be required.
- Maintain and promote good relationships with and between clients and The Colwell Law Group, LLC.
- Achieve the billable hour requirement expected by the firm.
- Work closely with the billing department for accurate and appropriate billing of clients.
- Work in a team setting and contribute to the overall goals of a growing firm.
To be considered for this opportunity, candidates must have received or be willing to receive and maintain up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination (including eligible boosters) by the date of hire; proof of vaccination required.
- Significant work experience in a law firm, corporate or government setting, handling a range of sensitive legal issues such as divorce, child abuse, child custody, and domestic violence.
- Strong working knowledge of the New York Family Court Act and Domestic Relations Law.
- Experience litigating family and matrimonial actions in the New York court system.
- Detail‐oriented in a fast-paced office and courthouse setting.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Strong organizational skills, follow-through, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to be both a team leader and player.
- Commitment, experience, and/or skills to collaborate with a diverse, dynamic team with varied communication and learning styles and levels of experience; proven ability to identify and resolve interpersonal conflicts; willingness to both energetically support The Colwell Law Group, LLC’s ongoing efforts to set and achieve employee goals for professional growth.
- Ability to maintain composure, negotiate and advocate effectively in Court and office while working on otherwise emotional and high-stress litigation matters.
- Strong sense of empathy, humility, patience and professionalism, each employed while skillfully collaborating with colleagues and clients across a diverse spectrum which includes but is not limited to race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status.
- 401(k) Matching
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vacation & Holiday Pay
- Pet Benefit