Fulton County Family Lawyer
For many Fulton County residents, their first meaningful interaction with the legal system will come in a family law matter, such as a divorce or child custody dispute. These are among the most sensitive legal matters since they impact the long-term happiness of you and your entire family. For that reason, it is critical to work with an experienced Fulton County family lawyer who understands this area of the law and can provide you with representation and compassionate understanding.
A Full-Service Family Law Practice in Fulton County
At The Colwell Law Group, LLC, our practice focuses exclusively on family law. Our attorneys deal with the Family Court in Fulton County on a regular basis, so we know how to guide you through the process of handling your case. Our full-service family law practice includes the following areas:
- Divorce – Ending a marriage is never easy. Beyond the emotional toll, there are also a number of legal issues that need to be resolved, including the distribution of property, spousal maintenance and support, and child custody and support. In many cases we find that most, if not all, of these issues can be resolved through a negotiated settlement. In other cases there may be an existing prenuptial or postnuptial agreement in effect. Whatever your situation, we can handle every aspect of your divorce from start to finish.
- Divorce Modification – Divorce cases do not always end with the final judgment. As the years go by there may be new issues or changed circumstances, particularly with respect to child custody or child support, that may require reopening your divorce settlement. We can assist you with negotiating a revised agreement and asking for judicial permission to modify your divorce settlement.
- Child Custody – Every parent wants to do what is best for their child. Unfortunately, when parents cannot agree as to the best custody arrangements, a judge may have to decide. Our family law practice handles all kinds of custody disputes, including claims involving the rights of grandparents and parental relocation outside of New York.
- Paternity & Fathers’ Rights – When a child is born to unmarried parents in Fulton County, it is necessary to establish paternity either through a voluntary acknowledgment signed by both parents, a court proceeding that proves the father by DNA or similar evidence. Once paternity is established, the mother has the right to seek child support, and the father may ask for visitation rights or even custody.
- Domestic Violence – If your life is in immediate danger due to actual or threatened violence from an intimate partner, you need to protect yourself. Our Fulton County family law attorneys can help you seek or enforce an order of protection against your abuser.
Get in Touch With a Family Attorney in Fulton County
These are just some of the family law matters we can help you with. Whatever your situation, we know that dealing with the legal system can be overwhelming, especially when you are in the midst of a family or personal crisis. That is why we can assume the burden of dealing with the courts, paperwork, and even your estranged partner from you. Call our Fulton County family lawyers or contact us online to schedule a consultation today.