Full Time : Managing Attorney(Syracuse Regional Office)-Family & Matrimonial Law
Skills Management, Litigation, Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Communication, Mentorship, Goal-Driven Thought Leader and Collaborator, Attorney Mentorship, Supervisor, Professional Development
Compensation: Along with your resume, please submit a letter of interest with salary requirements.
The Colwell Law Group, LLC, a growing family and matrimonial law firm with locations in Albany, Saratoga and Syracuse (New York), is seeking a Managing Attorney (Regional Office) for our Syracuse location. The firm has been recognized by the Albany Business Review as one of top law firms in New York State’s Capital Region and has been acknowledged by LawFirm500 as one of the fastest growing firms in the country.
The Colwell Law Group, LLC fosters a culture of professional growth for all employees. At The Colwell Law Group, LLC, compassion, advocacy and excellence intersect. You are invited to explore the opportunity to join and lead our dynamic legal team, where you will provide both the most effective representation of and the highest levels of personal service for our clients. While doing so, you will share our commitment to a healthy work-life balance which is essential to the success of The Colwell Law Group, LLC.
- Membership in good standing in the New York State Bar. Other state bar memberships a plus.
- As the Managing Attorney of The Colwell Law Group, LLC’s Syracuse Regional Office, you will report to the firm’s Director of Legal Operations (“DLO”).
- Regularly meet with and report to the DLO regarding regional Legal Department performance and productivity.
- On a daily basis, review and manage achievement of key performance indicators (“KPIs”) associated with the assigned region, including billed and collected hours.
- The Colwell Law Group, LLP’s Managing Attorneys are responsible for successfully managing assigned cases with similar, specifically defined KPIs.
- Foster a collaborative and supportive work environment at The Colwell Law Group, LLC.
- Supervise, lead and mentor a growing team of attorneys and administrative support staff.
- Supervise the handling of cases by regional Associate Attorneys.
- Conduct frequent regional Associate Attorney case reviews to determine status of regional Legal Department productivity goals; provide reports of these reviews to the DLO.
- Coordinate regional Managing Attorney case reviews with The Colwell Law Group, LLC’s Legal Development Officer’s periodic case reviews.
- Attend regional quarterly Associate Attorney performance reviews with the DLO.
- Manage client complaints at the direction of the DLO or his designee.
- Participate in The Colwell Law Group, LLC’s regional legal recruitment and hiring process.
- Travel to courts and proceedings in central New York required. Some travel to Albany and Saratoga locations may be required.
Perform other duties, which may include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with The Colwell Law Group, LLC’s Management Team, to ensure that the administration of services, including legal services, meets stated goals.
- Maintain and promote good relationships with and between clients and The Colwell Law Group, LLC.
- Work in a team setting and contribute to the overall goals of a growing firm.
- Assist with regional-specific office operations under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer.
To be considered for this opportunity, candidates must have received or be willing to receive and maintain up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination (including eligible boosters) by the date of hire; proof of vaccination is required.
- Ideal candidates will have over seven (7) years’ experience in civil litigation.
- Management experience in a law firm, corporate or government setting, with significant work handling a range of sensitive legal issues such as divorce, child abuse, child custody, and domestic violence.
- Supervisor experience in substantial legal work and projects.
- Strong working knowledge of the New York Family Court Act and Domestic Relations Law.
- Experience litigating family and matrimonial actions in the New York court system.
- Detail‐oriented in a fast-paced office and courthouse setting.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Strong organizational skills, follow-through, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to be both a team leader and player.
- Commitment, experience, and/or skills to lead a diverse, dynamic team with varied communication and learning styles and levels of experience; proven ability to identify and resolve interpersonal conflicts; a creative sense and ability to find professional development opportunities for direct reports; willingness to both energetically lead regional employees and support The Colwell Law Group, LLC’s ongoing efforts to set and achieve employee goals for professional growth.
- Ability to maintain composure, negotiate and advocate effectively in Court and office while working on otherwise emotional and high-stress litigation matters.
- Strong sense of empathy, humility, patience and professionalism, each employed while skillfully collaborating with colleagues and clients across a diverse spectrum which includes but is not limited to race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status.
- 401(k) Matching
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vacation & Holiday Pay
- Pet Benefit